Oakland Ballet Company is looking to engage a Teaching Artist for our You Can Dance! program. This is a program delivered in the Oakland Unified School District to third grade students using dance to explore creativity, problem solving, and the development of cognitive skills. We are seeking a dance educator with an in-depth knowledge of dance, an innovative approach in the classroom, and a contagious enthusiasm to share dance as a vehicle for self-expression and academic growth.
Applicants should be passionate about dance and dance education, able to create an inclusive, supportive, and creative environment in the classroom, and possess excellent communication skills.Candidates must also have access to reliable transportation to be able to travel to schools throughout the city of Oakland.
- Develop lesson plans based on current You Can Dance! syllabus in coordination with the Assistant Artistic Director.
- Deliver highly engaging and excellent dance instruction.
- Manage attendance records.
- Develop professional relationships with classroom teachers, principals, and school staff.
- Actively engage in mandatory staff meetings, orientation(s), and professional development.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dance and 1-2 years of teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and interest students through dance.
- Bilingual in verbal Spanish and English preferred.
- Background Check/Fingerprints
- TB test
- Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Position is part-time seasonal with a minimum of 4 hours per week over a period of 16 weeks taking place between September and May. Compensation is $100 per lesson delivered. Successful candidate will be trained in the syllabus.
To apply, please submit resume to Assistant Artistic Director Bat Abbit, firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakland Ballet Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to employing a diverse group of artists and staff. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
No phone calls please.