Oakland Ballet Company is a non-profit, performing arts organization that reflects the rich diversity of Oakland and the greater East Bay. The mission of the Oakland Ballet Company is to provide accessible, relevant, and exciting dance for our diverse community.
OBC is an Isadora Duncan award-winning dance company encompassing a diverse professional performing company, an outstanding educational program that enables thousands of students and youth to experience and appreciate the art of dance, plus an academy dedicated to training the next generation of dancers.
Founded in 1965, Oakland Ballet Company (OBC) is currently celebrating a 52-year legacy of presenting exciting, vibrant and accessible dance in the East Bay. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Graham Lustig since 2010, OBC is committed to artistic excellence and serving as a leader in the Bay Area arts community. OBC’s programs engage a diverse range of community members through the commissioning of vibrant new works, innovative collaborations with artists of other genres, and compelling educational programs that cultivate the next generation of dance lovers.
The “Discover Dance” education and community engagement program serves students, teachers, and community members throughout Oakland and the greater East Bay. This program provides arts education and access to live dance performance for more than 15,000 students and community members each season.
The Academy at Oakland ballet provides training for students ages 3 through 17, beginner through professional. The Academy’s focus is to provide classical ballet training, develop artistic expression through dance, and build self-confidence in a fun and nurturing class environment.
- Luna Mexicana – a dance and music celebration of Dia de los Muertos
- Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker – every December at Oakland’s historic Paramount Theatre. Live music by the Oakland Symphony.
- Repertory Season: featuring new, contemporary works commissioned by a diverse array of Bay Area choreographers.
- East Bay DANCES: a festival hosted by OBC celebrating the diversity of dance in the East Bay
- The Academy at Oakland Ballet
- Weekly ballet classes
- Summer intensive workshop, Ballet Boot Camp
- Discover Dance educational outreach program:
- OBC in the Schools: An on-site, 45 minute educational assembly about the art of dance
- Production in Action: in-theater educational program
- Ticket Donations
- Free Performances in the community
- Scholarships to The Academy