Student Cast Auditions
Join the student cast of Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker 2019.
This fun and rewarding experience gives young dancers the opportunity to work with OBC’s professional dancers, artistic staff, and perform on the Paramount Theatre stage! A lifelong memory in the making. Students must be 7 years of age or older to audition.
12:00 – 12:30 registration
12:30 – 3:00 audition
Location: Alameda Ballet Academy
1402 Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501
-To reserve your place at the audition, please register to attend
Register to Attend
– Please bring a completed audition form with you to the audition.
Download the Audition Form
– Please bring a photo that shows your face clearly (such as a school photo) in size 4×6 or larger. (If you participated in The Nutcracker in 2018 we do not need a photo.)
About the audition
Dancers will be called in groups according to height and age. Once your group is done, you will be asked to wait as the directors may need to see you dance again. The audition requires a lot of waiting so please bring water, snacks, warm clothes, and games or books for entertainment.
Nutcracker Participation Guide:
Participation in Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker is an exciting, educational, and fun experience, but please do not forget that it is also a very serious commitment for the entire family. Please read all of the below information to help you determine if participation in Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker is right for your dancer and fits your family’s schedule.
- There is a $175, non-refundable participation fee. (This fee helps Oakland Ballet fund the cost of rehearsals, costume fitting and maintenance.)
- Costume needs such as Shoes, tights, leotards and make-up are to be provided by the student.
Rehearsal and Performance Attendance and Schedules:
- Availability for ALL performances. No cast member has the option of choosing her/his cast, role, or performances.
- Faithful and punctual attendance at ALL rehearsals and performances is required. It is vital for the entire cast to attend each and every rehearsal without fail. There is such a lot of material to be learned that your fullest support and cooperation is crucial to the success of the production.
- Rehearsal time commitments vary by role. The rehearsal period is condensed into a five-week period with weekday evening and weekend rehearsals. Certain roles will be rehearsed during the week between 5:30-7:30pm. Other roles will rehearse on Sundays between 10:00am -6:00pm.
- The rehearsal period will commence on Sunday, November 17, 2019. Until the theater tech and performance week, all rehearsals will be held at Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts at 1428 Alice Street in Oakland.
- Theater rehearsals are December 19 & 20.
- Performance dates are December 21 1PM, December 21 5PM, December 22 1PM, and December 22 5PM
- Roles and Casting are assigned by the Artistic Director; ALL DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
- Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker is a copyrighted, professional production performed by the dancers of the Oakland Ballet Company with local students appearing as guests.
- As we are using costumes already constructed for this production, there are very specific height requirements for each role. Attending the audition is an absolute necessity if your child wants to be considered for a role.
- Audition results will be emailed approximately two weeks after the audition. Please do not call the administrative office for audition results.
- Graham Lustig’s The Nutcracker is a copyrighted production: no videotaping of any rehearsal or performance is allowed.
- We do not have availability for complimentary tickets to performances.
- There is not a waiting area for parents/guardians at the Paramount Theatre during performances. The student cast will be monitored backstage by Oakland Ballet staff and parent volunteers (volunteer positions will be arranged in November and December).
“Dancing with the Oakland Ballet was an outstanding experience for my daughter from start to finish. She has walked away with a new-found inspiration for dancing and performing: What a wonderful opportunity!”
“We were honored to be part of such a great production and the experience was amazing. Mr. Lustig was wonderful through it all and we hope to be able to be part of Oakland Ballet again in the future . . . Mr. Lustig’s presence in the Oakland Community has shown to be overwhelmingly positive . . . Again, thank you and the Oakland Ballet for allowing (my daughter) to have this unique experience!”
“My daughter had a fabulous time dancing in Oakland Ballet’s Nutcracker. She loved the variety of roles and the opportunity to engage in the production from rehearsals through performance days. Graham and the Oakland Ballet staff encouraged and inspired her — it was a very worthy experience.”